* James M Snell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-08-11 08:00]:
> Suppose that what I'm responding to is an item in an RSS feed
> that does not contain a guid element?  All I have to go off of
> is the URL of the RSS feed or the RSS item's link element...
> neither of which are actual ID's.

Ugh.

Sigh.

Yeah, okay.

I can see that.

Can we still include language that if it’s an Atom entry being
replied to, the atom:id of the original entry is REQUIRED?

Also, that if it’s an RSS feed, then using the GUID value if
provided is strongly encouraged? (I’d like to make that
RECOMMENDED, but that’s too strong a requirement for reliance on
an OPTIONAL feature… sigh.)

Sigh… bleh. I hope one day we can forget about RSS… :-(