At first I really liked this proposal, but I think that the kind of confusion you're concerned about is unavoidable; the terms you refer to suffer "bottom-up" vs. "top-down."

I think that defining the terms well and in relation to the subscription feed will help; after all, the terms don't surface in UIs, so it should be transparent.