Mark Nottingham wrote:

Right. A few questions that pop up:

1) Is it a closed or open set? If it's open (and I think 99% of feeds are), what does "last" mean?

My answer is that it's probably an open set, so "last" doesn't mean much that's useful (unless it's conflated with the subscription feed; see below).

My answer would be: if "last" is used, it's a closed set; if "last" is not used, it's an open set.

2) What's the relationship between these feed documents and the feed document that people subscribe to?

I think the subscription feed needs to be pinned to one end of the set (which is what FH does now). Otherwise, it becomes difficult to figure out whether you have the complete set or not by polling.

I think this will be dependent on the context in which the link rels are used. The "subscription" link rel you've suggested is a good solution to this problem. Within any of the feeds in the set, the "subscription" link rel would point to the feed that should be subscribed to -- regardless of whether the subscription feed appears at the start or end of the set.