Tim Bray wrote:

On Jan 30, 2006, at 8:23 AM, James M Snell wrote:

+1. Serving atom up at application/xml is perfectly acceptable

It is *not*. Atom has a registered Internet media type (application/ atom+xml); using anything else is a bug. -Tim

Here's my 'best effort' suggestion that we're looking to implement at AOL:

(1) All links from within feeds go to a resource of type "application/atom+xml".
(2)  Header links (<link rel...>) in web pages to to a resource as in #1.
(3) Feed links displayed in web pages, which a user in a web browser might click on, go to a resource of type "application/xml", which contains exactly the same XML that would be contained in the Atom feed resource of type "application/atom+xml", along with a style sheet that causes said page to be rendered in a browser with subscribe links (pointing to resource #1). The web UI tries to guide users to subscribe buttons first, before showing them a raw feed URL.

In other words, the application/xml content is a fallback for when users, despite our best efforts, end up looking at XML content inside a web browser. I'd also be happy to make this behaviior browser-dependent so that we serve application/atom+xml to browsers which will display it inline with a style sheet, if there are any.

This means that users might possibly end up subscribing to something of type application/xml if they copy and paste URL #3... but we could also make this client dependent so that, for example, everything other than known web browsers get application/atom+xml. Not sure about that as it's changing the MIME type, but I think it's changing it for a good reason (working around what I think is a browser problem).

Comments welcomed.

-John