James Holderness wrote:

David House wrote:
We have two options here: give up or serve as text/xml (I guess
the latter won't be too popular). Really, browsers should recognise
application/atom+xml as something they can parse as XML and do so.

I can't understand why so many people want to prevent the browser from passing Atom feeds on to the user's registered feed reader. When a browser encounters an audio/mpeg link what does it do? It passes it on to the user's media player. It doesn't try to display a binary dump of the file, or a waveform image. That would just be stupid. But for some reason people think it makes more sense to display a page full of XML to the user rather than letting them view the feed in their aggregator. I just don't get it.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Abstractioneer

Admittedly if the user doesn't have an aggregator installed, or their aggregator hasn't registered the application/atom+xml media type, then a save dialog is not particularly useful. At that point it may be more useful for the browser to try and display the XML inline. But that is a fallback situation that should only be considered if there isn't a registered handler for the Atom media type.
100% agreed.  I think this is what people are actually asking for -- run the handler if registered, if not check to see if it's something the browser might be able to usefully display (xml with stylesheet, for example!) and only if that fails, offer to download.

John Panzer wrote:
(1) All links from within feeds go to a resource of type "application/atom+xml".
(2)  Header links (<link rel...>) in web pages to to a resource as in #1.
(3) Feed links displayed in web pages, which a user in a web browser might click on, go to a resource of type "application/xml", which contains exactly the same XML that would be contained in the Atom feed resource of type "application/atom+xml", along with a style sheet that causes said page to be rendered in a browser with subscribe links (pointing to resource #1).  The web UI tries to guide users to subscribe buttons first, before showing them a raw feed URL.

Now this I can understand. Not too scary for users that don't have an aggregator installed, but you still provide a clickable, subscribable link for users that do.

Regards
James