Comments below.

Wendy Seltzer wrote:
> [snip]
> Thanks James,
> I'm still not clear on what's happening in 1.1.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> To this point I've received exactly the opposite feedback from others
>> (all of whom weren't lawyers, btw, but who have had experience with
>> licensing issues in the past).
>>
>> It is my understanding that the licenses cannot be considered legally
>> binding *by themselves*.  That is, precisely as you indicate, they are
>> not self-executing.
>
> What I meant by that is that they don't actively restrict non-compliant
> use, as a technological protection measure does: I can receive a feed
> and choose to breach its license.   They can have legal effect, though:
> Unless I have some legal excuse such as fair use, I'm then not compliant
> and possibly infringing copyright.  (You still have to come after me for
> copyright infringement.)
>
> Are you trying to say that the license-rel in the feed is merely a
> notification to those who are curious that "this is probably (but we're
> not certain) the license under which the feed may be used" ?  That's the
> way it reads.  If so, what's the point?  Don't you either want to assert
> "take the feed under this license or not at all" or say nothing and make
> people come to you and ask?

What I'm saying is that feed consumers have no guarantee as to who added
the license link to the feed/entry and whether whoever did had the legal
right to do so.  Nor is there any guarantee that license links within a
feed or entry have not been inappropriately modified. Feed publishers
can digitally sign Atom feeds and entries to provide some
non-repudiation protection, but doing so is optional and is not a
guaranteed solution.

> I'd recommend dropping this paragraph, as it may give incorrect legal
> advice.

Ok.

>> > 2   "License" link relations appearing within a feed MUST apply to the
>> >    metadata of the containing feed element only and do not extend over
>> >    the metadata or content of any contained entries.
>> >
>> > Why? Why would a feed need a license separate from its content?
>> Lots of
>> > the metadata elements would be functional or would give users fair use
>> > claims, absent a license.
>> >
>> Sam Ruby's planet feed is a prime example.  Sam does not own rights over
>> the individual entries that appear within his feed, however, Sam does
>> own the rights over the feed itself, including the selection and
>> arrangement of entries within that feed.
>
> That seems minimally useful to me (the license, not Sam's feed!), but
> why prohibit people from licensing their feeds' content too? Or am I
> just misreading this, and you're saying that depending on where you put
> the tag, the license's coverage differs?

It's the latter.  The license's coverage differs depending on where it
appears.

>[snip]

- James