On Nov 30, 2006, at 2:13 AM, Jan Algermissen wrote:
On Nov 29, 2006, at 7:22 PM, James M Snell wrote:
One such problem occurs in atom:link and atom:content elements.
Specifically:

  <atom:link type="application/atom+xml" href="a.xml" />
  <atom:content type="application/atom+xml" src="b.xml" />

Given no other information I have no way of knowing whether these are
references to Feed or Entry documents.

And what is the problem with that?

Here's one problem: in this and the autodiscovery case, the UA can't tell without fetching the remote resource whether it's appropriate to display a "subscribe" link. In fact, even if the remote resource is a feed, it may not be appropriate to subscribe to, because it may be an archive document rather than the live end of a feed.

Of the options presented, I'd favor adding a type parameter to application/atom+xml. In addition to "feed" and "entry", we may want "archive".