On 12/10/06, James M Snell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok, the recent discussion seems to point towards a consensus towards
distinctly flagging Entry Documents in the media type.  The only
question is whether or not to use a new media type or an optional type
param.  I'm going to write up an I-D this week.

Please let me know which of the two approaches below y'all prefer...

Option A) Optional Type Param

  application/atom+xml; type=entry
  application/atom+xml; type=feed

+1.   I believe other UA-visible Atom document syntax qualifiers will be
needed/coming downstream.  For example. ones describing the expected
extension model(s) of the target Atom document.  Feed vs. entry is just one
syntax variant of an Atom document, others of UA interest might be "this is
an Atom document containing OpenSearch results" or "this is an Atom Document
that describes media using Media RSS extensions".

I'm not sure that treating each syntax variant as a unique MIME type is a
scalable approach for the long haul.  One specific issue is that you will
also have to deal with combinations (ex "this Atom document is a feed that
contains OpenSearch results listing Media RSS entries").

Cheers!

-- Kyle