Hi Tassilo

Le 16 sept. 2016 à 17:40, Tassilo Horn <t...@gnu.org> a écrit :

> jfbu <j...@free.fr> writes:
>
> Hi Jean-Francois,
>
> [...]
> Hm, in the load-path, the ELPA version is before the site-lisp version,
> so in theory it should win...
>
>> is there some other path variable to customize in order for locally
>> elpa installed AucTeX to be the one picked up ?
>
> Please check your system's `site-run-file'.  That's probably
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el.  I presume there's some code
> in it which forcefully loads the site-lisp AUCTeX version.  There could
> also be "a default init file" /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el
> doing something such.

Sadly when I ssh to my office I end up on another server. And there it
is Emacs 23.1.1 + AucTeX 11.86... (the latter from my /home),

apparently elpa is not possible then as (package-initialize)
is not valid, thus I can not test the problem I reported.

Besides there the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el is empty
and the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el seems innocuous
(but this is all irrelevant to my Ubuntu 16.04 problem).

> If my guess is correct, then I'd say that's an Ubuntu bug.  site-lisp.el
> is for stuff like setting `load-path' but no packages should be
> forcefully loaded.  The decision which system-wide installed packages
> are going to be used is still a user decision which should not be forced
> on them (especially since now with ELPA there's a likely chance that a
> user installes and wants to use a newer version of a system-wide
> installed package).

I will tell next week if something like this happens.

Best,

Jean-Francois