Re: Apple: The Unsettling Rumor

To all of you who think Apple is more accessible, I have to say that your experiences with Android vary due to many factors. First, different manufacturers preinstall bloatware on their devices, often making them complicated to use. Custom skins might look visually appealing, but to a blind user they don't do much. If you want Android to work for you as simply as possible, go with nexus devices. Stock Android is quite plain, but very easy to navigate.
Secondly, people often make the comparison between VoiceOver and TalkBack and then reach the conclusion that iOS taken as a whole is more accessible. However, I think your issue really is with TalkBack itself. I have to admit that the TalkBack development team has been rather slow at implementing meaningful improvements into their updates. I have to say that the most recent release has been their best one in years, but there are still issues with web views and keyboard shortcuts are still lacking in many areas. However, I a lso tried Shine Plus and have to say that in many respects, it is superior to TalkBack. It has a command panel that allows users to change settings on their devices and offers shortcuts that allow for increasing and decreasing volume and speech rate, as well as navigation levels. The biggest difference between the two screen readers is that Shine Plus, like Spiel can be extended through scripts to work with applications that aren't accessible out of the box. So, it isn't Android, but the limitations of TalkBack that are discouraging many iPhone owners from switching.
My final point is that this headphone jack issue is just a rumor. I don't agree with the move if it is indeed true, but a screenshot of the new device hasn't even been released, so there is no proof of this actually being the case. So, you can stick with your old phones, or take the plunge and dive into Android if you have enough courage.