Re: The Windows 10 New World Order

Well, of the Mac Mini and iMac, iMac gets you more at the higher price points. And as is generally advised where specs are concerned, more is usually always better. I generally always by the highest and most of everything when I can, simply for that reason. However, as Nocturnus says, it is really true that there's a point where it simply doesn't matter, because your workload won't actually require it. I think it's fair to say that, if you become habitually accustomed to heavier workloads, then the iMac will be a better choice, but a surprising number of things (including many light transcoding or virtualisation workloads) will do just fine with the smaller systems. The best way to illustrate this is that, typically, MacBook Air users running Windows will upgrade to MacBook Pros if they are heavy Windows users.

Now, having said that, I couldn't say which of the machines is actually better; I have two Mac Minis and one iMac, all on the same desktop. T he iMac is my primary machine, for sheer power. The Minis are servers: the older system runs Linux, while the newer, newer Mini runs as an OS X cache and iTunes renderer and hub. My old 2010 Mini with USB 2 and no Thunderbolt is next door and is for running older operating systems, and my MacBook Pro is for the outdoors.

Also bear in mind that nowadays, for iMacs, RAM is explicitly user-upgradable; you could buy a top-end iMac, cut out a huge chunk of margin by not buying RAM from Apple, and top it off yourself (actually, you can get 64 GB into the current iMac for what Apple now charges for 32 GB, IIUC).

And again remember, these things will run Windows and Linux. There is no danger of someday being kicked out of your investment because Apple goes on a technology spring-clean, as sometimes happens. Oh yeah, and you generally get great resale value when the time comes to move on to the next piece of hotness your geek heart desires.

TL;DR: just splurge and enjoy you rself buying whatever it is you really want; it pays off in the end. smile