Re: FYI: DRM is Evil. Very, Very, Very Evil

I think I understand you. There's something psychological going on.

DRM makes premium bits feel more premium. I'm sure I've experienced that. Heck, I'm sure Audible was responsible for that, to some extent. It's such a wonderful, vertical, well-staged delivery.

The bits are protected, therefore the content must be of high quality and you're privy to it. Yeah. I understand. But of course, it's an illusion. The only difference is the decryption.

To see how this works, you need only enjoy content you ripped from a CD or DVD that you know is of studio quality. The content continues to be awesome, it just doesn't have the DRM on it. So why does content without DRM feel less valuable? Because it once had DRM, or because the DRM was unwarranted to begin with?

I get a bit of both. Sometimes DRM content is just made worse by the DRM. Sometimes I'm glad the DRM is there because I truly value the content. An ABX test would, of course, fail utterly to reliably have me identify DRM-free from DRM content, because the DRM adds nothing perceivable. It's just the sense you get from the content owner's own self-assessment of the value of their content.

So let's do away with the DRM, and have stern copyright notices instead. I could live with that. Or watermarking. The critical point is that we understand the value of this stuff, which I most certainly do.