Facebook's new AI, total BS

For those of you who don't know, Facebook unveiled its new technology that uses an AI to identify pictures.  The feature has been slowly rolling out to users who use screen readers and in particular, iOS.

I've encountered tens of shares on this feature that have been covered by multiple popular sources, and I got a chance to check out the hot new addition today.  My thoughts?  Total bogus.

TapTapSee has been at this for much longer and still has issues.  It, like Facebook, relies on solely artificial intelligence to recognize pixels in particular patterns to deliver a description of what is in the picture to the user.  Google Imgaes runs off of the same work-around, with similar images coming up based on the way pixels are arranged and finds photos with similar patterns or structures.

As far as I can tell, alternative text only appears when human faces are present, a quick "indoor or outdoor" dichotomous interpretation , and the quantity of faces.  It doesn't give anything more than those factors, and it is without a doubt it is virtually useless.

I'm sure most of us who use Facebook on iOS have seen this feature implemented; if not, you aren't missing out.

Best Regards,

Luke