Re: should accessible steam games be added to the database

Firstly, let me say that I personally do not currently play mainstream games. This may or may not change in the future, depending on a number of different factors.
However, I do want to comment on some of the arguments, and explain why I do think that some of these games should at least be on the site.
Some people say that these games should not be on there, because valve clearly does not support our efforts, which means we shouldn't support theirs. Unfortunately, we're the minority here, which means that if we continue to pretend steam doesn't exist, Valve will definitely not help us. But what if Valve gets a new management, or does respond to someone's email in a helpful tone, or changes its stance in some other way? Having steam-accessible games on here would be a nice way to show that there are actually quite a few people who still care. While it is true that they might not be willing to provide more accessibility even when we put steam-accessible games on the site, the chance that accessibility will improve will be much, much smaller if we do nothing. Bottom line, would you rather have a small chance of more accessibility, or next to no chance at all? We are not in a position to put pressure on valve to get their act together, so the best thing to do in this situation is to show that people on here still care. Pretending accessible steam games don't exist will only be detrimental to those efforts.
And who knows, perhaps something else happens which significantly increases the accessibility. The Japanese games were next to impossible to play at first, until somebody made an NVDA addon which allowed instant translating via the clipboard. There were definite issues with this, but the community still embraced it because it was very obviously worth it. Now we have JGT, which makes life a whole lot easier, it requires very little in the way of configuration, it reads everything directly rather than you first needing to press a key every time you want to read something, etc. I don't think JGT would have been made if no one cared about Japanese games in the first place, and no one is going to bother making steam more accessible if the interest in steam dies in this community. Not until there is an alternative, and as people have already stated, there most likely won't be one.
In short, I think it is very important to raise awareness, rather than lowering it. Rejecting the addition of steam-based games to the database on the grounds that Valve still hasn't bothered to listen to us is not justified in my opinion.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : guilevi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : FabiG94 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : guilevi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : FabiG94 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Lettsee via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cj89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cj89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : bradp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector