Re: Going back to Windows 7, a good or a bad idea?

Many of the tweaks that make Win10 halfway acceptable work, and better, on Windows 8.1. Thus I am staying on that platform, for my native Windows needs (WinXP in my primary virtual machine). You all know by now, of course, why I cannot and will not use Win10, and I'll thank you kindly not to try and persuade me to the contrary. smile

You might try Win8.1, Afrim. It's a halfway point between the two, and you can have many of the innovations that appear in Win10, like faster operating speeds, less processor and RAM consumption, better power management, better networking performance, and many others, but without the same compromises. Classic Shell works, but the OS is not a gutted shell of its former self, you don't need to be pestered out of your mind, and you can sign in using a local account, with a little determination. Privacy controls work, and apply only to TIFKAM apps, are off by default, and can be managed easily and fully from the GUI. Telemetry can (and should) be thoroughly removed, and then disabled, from the Windows updates list. You don't need tools just to unload most of the crap, which keeps your maintenance down, and means that (with the exception of changing a few file associations here and there) you don't need to replace any functionality, like Internet Explorer or Media Player, if you don't want.

Win7 was an all right release. I'd sooner have had a Vista SP3, myself, for the classic Start Menu. That didn't happen, so people have come to revere Win7, perhaps more so because of Microsoft's splendid marketing efforts around that release. This is wrong, IMO; Microsoft have done great work in future releases of Windows, but as is so often the case with MS nowadays, they seem to be completely out of touch with what their users actually want, which is why we find ourselves in this mess. OS X has its issues, but it's really true than it remains a clean and uncluttered paradise in comparison; my biggest issue is the bugs. If Apple will not fix bugs in the upcoming MacOS 10.12, then I will surely make my escape back to Windows or even Linux, but it stops with Win8.1, where I know exactly where I stand. JMO. Give it a shot.