Re: Going back to Windows 7, a good or a bad idea?

As I said, all of those apps can be removed.

Just out of curiosity, did you sign in with a Microsoft account? i've never had any of the problems you describe with notifications and such. Then again, on a new installation of Windows 10, the very first thing I do is to get rid of all the apps. Well, that, and tweak all the privacy settings to my liking.

I will never use a Microsoft account, as I don't want any of my data being stored in the cloud. I keep lots of things on my computer that I want to keep safe from prying eyes. Besides, I do not want to be dependent on an internet connection to be able to sign into my computer. That's ludicrous. And, you're absolutely right, all the apps are unnecessary on a desktop computer or even a laptop. Sure, there are a lot of folks who would disagree with that stance, but these are the same folks who predicted, when touch screens really started to take off, that keyboards would disappear within 5 years. Well, gu ess what? That didn't happen.

At Crashmaster, I'm on that same Win10 email list, and I've seen the kinds of messages you're describing. For the record, I also use Ribbon Disabler. I don't like ribbons at all. I find them irritating and cumbersome. When I first installed Windows 10, I installed Classic Shell, too, but I moved away from that because it was buggy. The start menu isn't too bad once you get rid of the live tiles and obliterate all of those stupid default apps. The only thing I really miss from previous versions of Windows is first letter navigation, which I hope microsoft adds in the future.