Iphone and mac storage filling up automatically

Ahoy there.
This is quite a strange issue I have never encountered before.
When I bought my mac, and updated it, the apps were taking about 20gb of space or so. I installed vlc,bit torrent and nothing else.
I also downloaded a iso
Yesterday, I saw my space at 27gb as taking up by the applications.
Today, the same application space shows as 30gb and the only thing I have done on this mac since yesterday is written 3 pages documents, and browse safari.
My iPhone has 16gb storage, and all in all I had about 1.5gb free on it, after all the music and such were accounted for since a few days/week.
Today, I see that everything else is the same, music,others apps,pictures etc, but yet! My iPhone only has 300mb of free space left and I'm getting storage almost full, manage storage bra bla.
I deleted a few applications,and content like podcasts and such.
space was about 800mb remaining after that, Low and behold I check in the settings/gener al/usage/storage again and what do I find that 800mb has come down to 100mb
After that, I deleted each and every app, signed out of iCloud,and still with my music taking up 2.2gb it was still full at 9.5gb and the rest free.
I check after a while again,and I see used space 11.5gb and free space 0kb.

This has never ever happened with me in the last 3 years I have been using a iphone5, and now the 6plus. I plan on restoring my iPhone to factory settings and see if that helps any, however the increasing size of this mac's taken up space makes me quite uneasy after what has happened with my iPhone.
any ideas?
any of you experienced such a thing before?

Having a wonderful day,so I am. sad