Re: Books by Stephen King

Well the book is now finished and it was definitely good, quite compulsive and one with a great pace, especially since even some of King's classics like It have been a trifle slow in parts.

Beware! spoiling spoilers of spoilage ahoy!
I was rather worried how prophetic my (one big bang), I mentioned was. Unlike some people in this thread I didn't mind the ending, however I didn't particularly like the way King seemed to develop a lot of plot and then quite literally blow it away.

For example, there was a lot of time spent on the vader file implicating Big Jim which then got wasted, likewise, just as it seemed we were getting into a resistance police state plot there's suddenly a random explosion which quite literally blows most of the plot away and just gives us with an ending to resolve.

I remember King once  saying that in the stand he got bogged down in plot and had to use a bomb to keep things moving, but here it seemed he didn't even et bogged down, things were just going into higher gear when suddenly everything ent randomly boom, in some ways I felt a little cheated since it seemed I could've read basically from the explosion onwards.

On the other hand, the devastating ending with various people dying of the gas from the explosion was  extremely grimand tense and I liked what happened to Jim and Carter, . I really didn't mind the idea that the dome was just  random experiment of godlike aliens who treated people just as playthings, and the way this tied in to Juley's memory worked well.

All in all I liked the book, I just wish that King hadn't had quite as much plot randomly blown up as he did and had left at least a few of the loose ends from the plot surrounding Big Jim's power play to be resolved by human elements.