Re: Books by Stephen King

Well my review for under the dome is done and will hopefully be appearing on fantasybookreview.co.uk soon.
One thing I do notice, especially since I'm currently in the states having got married here, is that in this part of the world extreme views, and extreme reactions are a little more common than what I'm used to, especially when it comes to religion, and religious bombast in politics, even among comparatively reasonable people.

Undoubtedly, pencilvania is probably a little more cosmopolitan than chester's mill, but I can still see how the cultural climate might change as far as letting someone like Big Jim gain power, especially in a crysis situation.

As to Koontz, I definitely can appreciate why Stom's death in odd Thomas would've been affecting given when you read it, but myself I just found it ar too overdone, especially the way all of odds good buddies turned up to help him out. I'd have actually had more respect for Odd Tho mas if he'd been pretty much friendless and pulled himself together on his own.

There were bits of Odd Thomas I liked, such as the death predicting creatures, and his very disturbing relationship with his mother, but really the characterization I just found irritating as I said above.

Phantoms had a few passages where Koontz goes into the pedagogical tone, and he also is rather guilty even in that book of assigning characters roles and saying effectively "You will! like this character because I say so!" or "You will! hate this bad guy" but things were not too over the top for most of PHantoms, and the book was primarily dealing with nasty stuff happening I didn't find it half as irritating as odd Thomas.

I don't know what it is, maybe it's my life circumstances, but I find the hole "nicy nicy" unrealistic, trouble free character approach annoys me more and more as I get older. I'd much rather see people with real! problems which actually have adverse affects on them triumph. It's a similar issue to why I hate most superheroes.

All that being said, I did! like phantoms, just for being generally dark, grim, and extremely atmospheric (I gave it 8.4 out of 10), and currently have midnight on my victor, and will likely read it when I am next in a horror mood, ---- assuming I don't fansy trying more King.

Right now I'm reading Justin Cronin's city of mirrors, third in his passage trilogy, which is just plane awesome! extremely human, three dimentional characters, an unpredictable plot, a truly beautiful writing style, an astounding amount of world building, not just one of the best zombocalypse books I've ever read, but one of the best series I've read for some considerable time.

if nobody beats me to it I'll likely review city of mirrors and unless something really! catastrophic happens I should be giving it a pretty high score.