Re: dungeons and dragons or, DND as many call it.

Hmmm, well sadly most digital tools I've seen for rp games other than basic dice rollers have been a little ropy.
For our mutants and masterminds game (the one I played for about 7 years), the gm used a system called hero lab which was very much as d&D beyond is described, ie character sheets, quick stat management, rules etc.
It even let our gm quickly create and stat up npcs on the fly or import npcs from the official books or from a series he'd already statted in case he wanted to throw a villain at us for no readily apparent reason (as he did on several occasions), big_smile.

So, I'm a bit confused at this being "the first offical" etc, since I got the idea that Hero lab was! the official program for mutants and mutants is a wizards of the coast game.

Either way as I said whether this will be accessible is the question, also wh ether this will allow for remote play.
I can imagine play in realtime by voice chat over skype etc, provided you had the same comparatively small number of players and a gm as in the regular game, though in a way it's the social experience and the fact that tabletop games are! played around a table which is part of the experience.

Btw, I've always found the "pen and paper role playing games" term a bit weerd anywayy, indeed it's not one I'd heard accept online, most friends of mine or my brothers who roleplay refer to what they do as tabletop aming gaming particularly as these days a lot of people don't use pens and paper for keeping character sheets etc anyway big_smile.