Kodi V17.1 help

So...I've been a longtime Kodi user and wanted to upgrade to 17.

So, I did, installing the screenreader addon (and why it isn't installed by default baffles me, it's literally the first thing I've installed in any build and I may actually see about sharing my list of addons I install in a PM if anyoned wants it), but I'm running into isues.

Essentailly, Kodi 17 and 17.1 has a huge, huge issue that nukes the screenreader. It is as follows, and this is going by what Rook, the author of the addon told me.

V17.1 and V17 have a problem with crashing when the screenreader is set to SAPI, which...is its default. I'm lucky enough to have NVDA selectable on my laptop so I picked that, and ...it still crashes.

So, went back to 16.1., started over, screenreader installed, selected NVDA, okayed that, that works fine, go to upgrade again, 17, wo beeps, crashes DESPITE me not picking SAPI in the addon settings.

Any ideas, guys? I' ve let Rook know about this but I got told he's still working on a fix for it, which....yeah, long time coming. I like Kodi 17, the idea of it but I would like my screenreader to work more with it, i.e. the Rook addon....

So, any help appreciated, I'm just frustrated by ths as to get it to work, I have to roll back to 16.1 in order to get that to work at all.