Re: A shocking and depressing news!

Well this discussion  is getting a wee bit too close to the subject of my thesis for me to want to embark upon it too far when I'm not actually working, but I will point out Shrike that logically the fact that you know blind people from birth probably means that you know the competent ones, simply because the incompetent ones I've found tend to also be those who categorically don't associate with others much.

I once met  a blind boy of 16 who could not use a knife and fork since his parents had always cut up his food for him, and even needed a none slip mat for his bowl since he could not eat with a spoon  without shaking his plate around the table, and my lady tells me of one woman she met in her twenties who apparently could not dress herself since she did not know how to do up buttons or zips, let alone shoe laces.

I've also known people myself in less drastic, but just as difficult situations, people who for example have no conver sational skills and only ever associate with the few blind people they met at school or camp and have little motivation to do anything besides talk to those people from that specific clique.

So as usual, all generalisations are wrong big_smile.