Re: Audiogames In _javascript_?

You are going to get a biased response from this thread. As someone who has developed in both python and _javascript_, the cross platform abilities of _javascript_ are unparalleled. The eas of learning in python are unparalleled.
I just built a project that required sound generation using python, and the only sound library I could think of that allowed this was libaudioverse. I developed this project, then realized my teammate only had a mac, so was never able to run my script. For most things though, python is pretty good for cross-platform development. But compared to _javascript_, there is no comparison.
If you are in a rush and want to get a game out, I would say that the browser is the way to go. If you know a little python, then using something like Brython is your best bet. In _javascript_, the best way to do things is to research for a little while (like maybe a week), on tools that you like, then once you have made your choice, stick with it and don't change unless there is a very good reason to. There are over 475,000 _javascript_ libraries, and to keep from being overwhelmed, you need to limit yourself to the libraries that you have chosen. You can literally spend all your time looking at libraries, so in _javascript_, find one and stick with it. It is difficult to go wrong with libraries in _javascript_, so just find something that feels good to you.

For example, use sono for audio and use the ticker system in pyaudiogame along with brython. Then get an account on Amazon S3 or Github to host your webpage. That's all you need to do to start developing python in the web browser. There needs to be a tutorial for this, and I'll put it on my list of things to do.
Here is what I think should happen:
There should be something called webaudiogame that functions like create-react-app. The goal would be for someone to type something like:
webaudiogame python appName
and a dir called appName would be created with everything needed to develop audio games in brython. All one would need to do is enter the app dir, and type npm start to run the app in their web browser. There will be a tutorial on how to deploy to S3 or Github, and maybe even a tutorial on python using brython later on. The initial src folder will have some code that will show how to capture keyboard input, schedule events, manage sounds, and save.
The webpack server will have hot module reloading and the included packages will be, either sono or WAD (debate please), then some libraries that make saving and queueing events easy. Then a script to allow one to package their code in an executable, probably using Electron.
This would allow people to quickly develop audio games in the browser without spending lots of time looking for libraries.
What are your thoughts?
I can start this kind of thing, but as you see from pyaudiogame and the accessible Unity Template, I'm not good at maintaining or extending projects past the basics. So if I should spend the time creating something like this, then there should be some other contributors who can write tutorials, use the package, and write new modules.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Amit via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector