Re: Monthly chat March 2018

Youch Orko, as Cansa goes that is a uniquely nasty one, I hope it does manage to clear up and that Chemo isn't as bloody awful as its reputed to be.

Cansa is something I'm constantly petrified of for my lady since as she had retinal blastoma at birth she's definitely at risk (without going into gorey details this is partly why she cannot have children), so sympathy on that one.

I finished my review of ecce and old earth by Jack vance, so hopefully that should be appearing soon. I do enjoy doing book reviews. Right now I'm trying to finish the big finish series countermeasures. This is less my thing since i'm not as crazy about spy fiction, but I've had it on my victor for ages and really ought to get it finished.

I'm also having to do a mondo amount of backing up. Recently Maplins, the computer and electronic sales place has gone into administration so were selling off their stock.
So while I still had 100 gb on my external driveI thought I'd buy a larger replacement while it was on offer, I did the same for my lady as well, so we've both upgraded from a 2tb to a 4 tb model.

This is fine but it means I'm now having to transfer the entire contents of my external hd drive onto the newer one before i reformat the old one, which probably will take around 14 hours, though given its transferring close to 2tb of stuff that isn't too bad going.

its all also backed up on yet another external drive which spends most of its time under my bed and only gets pulled out
when I need it.

I suppose I could look at some sort of cloud backup system, but honestly I prefer to do it myself manually, that way I can be absolutely certain everything is secure and that I know where it all is.
Besides,  I'd rather deal with file organisation myself than leave it up to some external agency ala Itunes.