Re: The End of Men

I'm reminded of Ernest Hemingway explaining his eventual suicide by saying that being alive without being able to enjoy it, not because of civilization, but because of biology, wasn't worth it. The old people I've known who did relax in their later years died slow, agonizing deaths. Those who didn't ... most are still alive, but those who aren't went pretty quickly and largely on their own terms. One grandmother specifically said she didn't want to go out like her mother did, saying that she'd lost her dignity. It's less that any of them have/had something to prove, so much as they wanted to live as long as it was a net positive experience. And for many people, that means being active.
I get that. I'd much rather be doing something than be made to sit in the corner because people are terrified of the blind person hurting themself. I don't see that changing, regardless of what health risks time adds.
When it turns into the person stressing themselves out, or if there are "straightforward" ways to mitigate the risk without significantly reducing activity, and said things are not being done, then, yeah, that's a problem that oughtn't to be ignored. Mostly, though, it reminds me of the nurse from that one episode of The Snorks, screaming at everyone with the plague to relax (including the doctor who could cure it if he could get back to work).