Re: Creating an audio game using Sable (video 6), by Ebon Sky Studios

Hi everyone,

Thanks as ever for all the interest in the project , I’ll try and answer some of the questions which have come in below
@number 134, as threeblacknoises mentioned, yes battles are turn based in sable, there’s an example of battles in video 4 which is the one about enemies, I’ll also show some more battles in a future video too, but yes things like armour dodging etc are all possible.
@number 138. We’ve actually toyed with the idea of changing ability sounds to a similar system as we do for weapons , enemies etc, where we would use sound sets instead , which would  then allow you to have multiple ability sounds. But we’ll just have to wait and see if this makes it into a later version of sable or not. You can give multiple pain sounds to enemies and characters, but this is selected randomly when hit and not affected by the type of damage the character has taken. You can also have different  body fall sounds though for different terrain types.
@number 139. I’m personally a big fan of entombed, as it was one of the first audio games I played. I really like the replay value the game offers and part of that is due to the random map generation. We’ve talked about this as a feature, and although its something we would all like to see, its not on the highest priority of things we want to get added in, so although it may get added at some stage, it almost certainly wouldn’t make it into sables  initial release, but maybe if we pursue the idea it might make it into some future release/update.
@number 41, thanks for subscribing to the channel and the video likes too, their all really appreciated.  There are some good suggestions and interesting concepts in your post. I completely agree with you customisation is key , and I’ve seen some great suggestions from the community  so far which could add further customisation to sable. I think additional or alternative options for damage calculations is a good suggestion,  But as far as redefining underlying mchanics go though that is beyond the scope of what we have planned for the initial release of sable. We want to give people the tools to be able to create their own games, Sable already has enough customisation that with clever thinking, good storylines and good use of the tools, not to mention clever sound design and use of those sounds that a user can definitly add a unique feel to their games, but their will always be rule systems and frame works that people will need to work within if they want to create a game using sable rather than coding it themselves. We would definitly love to expand sable further, we ourselves have lots of future development ideas, tools and mechanics which we would love to see in future iterations of sable, but discussing what future development plans are past sables release , its just too far out to speculate  at this stage as there are so many factors outside of our control, such as how popular sable is, what do people like and dislike, what are the features the community most want to see etc. I’ll definitly check out siri shortcuts though on my phone as that’s not something ive played with before and I’d like to see how that works in more detail.

As ever thanks to everyone for the support and enthusiasm towards the project.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: i...@ebonskystudios.com
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Naruto via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Naruto via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : david_solomon1 via Audiogames-reflector