Re: Gathering Community Consensus is Now Not OK

MasterOfDeath, please remember that I have left literally dozens, maybe even hundreds, of negative opinions totally alone. I agree with you that we need a place to be able to express honestly the things we think and feel about games and whatever else.
But the part where we differ is that you think every opinion should be left alone, while I do not. Go and read those threads I locked. Is two and a half pages or so of AudioGame and Mason sniping at each other a good thing? Is Ironcross trying to light a fire under Mason the kind of thing we want? Was Simter's drama the sort of thing you think is good for a forum? I'd sort of like to see why you believe so, because I just don't get it.

the thought that I do not accept differing opinions is straight-up laughable.
The thought that I will silence anyone who disagrees with me or will, in your own words, make it impossible to disagree with me is also laughable.
The facts are actually pretty simple. I'm trying hard to keep forum members accountable for their decisions, and you don't like that.

There are reasons why, in the real world, you can't do whatever you want. You have to consider other people, and consider the rules of wherever you're residing. And the reason we have rules to give mods the ability to lock topics is because something, one's right to voice their opinion is trumped by how negative or downright toxic that opinion is.

Look, I'll give an example, even though I don't think I should have to.

Opinion 1:
This game is a broken mess. Most of the controls either don't work, or work sluggishly. The game is poorly balanced and I'm sick and tired of trying to find fun where there isn't any. I'm just...done. So, so done. I really don't think I'll be playing anything else from you, but I hope you can sort out your coding and balance issues and maybe make a solid game one day. For now...no.

This opinion is pretty negative and pretty damning, but guess what? I wouldn't even blink at it. It's firm, even a little harsh, but it's not breaking rules. I would leave this up even if I coded the game in question and thought it was amazing (unlikely, but just work with me).

Now, here's an opinion that wouldn't be allowed to stand.

Opinion 2:
You're wasting our time creating this trash, dude. I mean seriously. Do you think we're stupid? Do you really think we have nothing better to do than give you five bucks a month to play this? This is an insult to gamers everywhere and a travesty. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. You're an idiot who doesn't deserve another dime of anybody's money until you straighten your shit out. I'm kind of wondering why you even bothered. I mean, you clearly just borrowed code bits you didn't understand and sorta slapped them together in one place. Whatever you think is "balance" clearly isn't, so I dunno, go back to flipping burgers or playing Ultra Power or something because you clearly suck as a developer and I don't want anyone supporting you. If you keep doing this I will stop at nothing to make sure people know what a lazy piece of shit you are.

Now, if you can't see what's wrong with this, I can't help you. This is something which would merit a warning. And if this sort of message spawned multiple arguments and personal attacks? You'd better believe I'd lock the topic. I'm totally down with person A calling out person B for a bad game, a bad choice, whatever. But there are good ways and bad ways to do it.
My issue right now is that I feel like you, MasterOfDeath, want us to allow everything, and by not doing so, I'm suddenly being labelled as controlling or intolerant of dissention of opinion. This is patently false, and I'd really like you to think before you speak from here on out on the subject. I'm asking this as a fellow user at this point.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : SLJ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : MasterOfDeath via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector