Re: Smugglers 5 advice?

There are several ways to influence npc war battles even if your not there.
Firstly, simply winning other campaigns will improve your faction's chances generally, as will taking other systems. Once you get a carrier you are pretty much a one ship invasion force all by yourself and can freely invade and capture other systems. Its still a bit of a lottery,  so long as your winning at a rapid rate eventually you'll win out.

Secondly, remember war bonds, bang a hole bunch of credits into war bonds and you can win the war with cash alone, since at the end of the game cash isn't that useful for anything else, you might as well.

If your absolutely %100 stuck, remember that winning the war is far easier in invasion, since there there are just two factions and the war ends when one faction take's the other's capital, indeed in general the end game is far more satisfying in invasion IMHO than in secession.

Hth.

wow, I so need to play these games again, they were  complete favourites of mine, and I spent many happy hours on s3, 4 and 5 and even tinkered with s1 a little, but I don't think I've played any of them since around 2015.