Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

By all means, use your own vision the way you want; just don't do it on the NFB's clock, so to speak. That's how I've always seen it. If you go away from there and you figure out tricks to enhance your skills, fine, but they're not there to either teach you those tricks or to help you enhance them. The reason sleep shades are insisted upon for those with usable vision is because sight is really, really greedy, neutrally speaking. Frankly (and I have this on good authority from people who have some vision, as I do not), if you have usable vision and are trying to learn what the NFB wants to teach you, the remaining vision you have is going to get in the way. It's going to impede your ability to take in what you're being taught, to one degree or another, because you're always going to be trying to use your vision to shortcut stuff. This will mean that when you walk away a graduate later, you won't have the same grasp of the skills they want you to have, and when your vision later goes away (as it statistically usually does, I should add) then your tricks and shortcuts don't work, and you're left with an incomplete set of skills you didn't learn properly in the first place.

For people with stable vision, it would be nice if they were allowed to not use sleep shades, if only because we should use the tools we have. But as I say, that's for when you get out. While you're there, you're sort of expected to do it their way. It's like high school, where they teach you the expository paragraph and suck all the style out of formal essay writing, and then you get into the real world and realize that this standard doesn't actually mean so much, and you're usually free to put at least a bit of stylistic flair in your work. No one is saying you can't ever use your vision, ever; but if you're going to a center that does things a certain way, the expectation is that you're not going there trying to rock the boat or start a revolution.