Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

@95: long = anywhere from collarbone to nose. In public school, I was taught sternum-armpit, and I've heard people claim that naval is better.

Re: remaining vision, lots of good points, here. One people have missed is that the training centers are trying to help build confidence, not just practical skills, and showing people that they can do fine with even less vision is arguably part of that... ...
... But the point was also made that they make vision seem like a bad thing? I never put those two together, but it does fit with that one seminar where they explicitly said they were not arguing that total is better than partial, mostly because that's exactly what they strongly implied in every other sentence and it's still what everyone came away assuming they were really saying.

More on canes: IDR if they let people use collapsable canes when not on training assignments. I know that, when someone mentioned Delta employees taking their canes when they were on a flight, they mentioned keeping a collapsable as a backup. (Also that canes that do not lie flat on the floor are considered a safety hasard. Wouldn't you know, the long ones have more difficulty with this.)
  But, yeah, what to do with them when entering a vehicle, or in a really narrow isle, or crowded restaurant, is probably the biggest downside to those things, at least in my experience. I never did get the unwieldy / flimsy experience, but I also heard comments about the flexibility being greater in older versions, so idk maybe that's why.
I never heard any of the "hiding your blindness" talk. I haven't looked into the history / timeline / previous admins at LCB, and I can't speak for the other centers. It could just be a change in leadership, or maybe they got the memo and dialed back the wtf doctrines. It's possible that my opinions on this came out better than they otherwise would have because of all the objectionable stuff I heard about beforehand that didn't manifest.

I do want to comment on the sleepshades vs individual attention suggestion. Mostly because, when I was at LCB, class sizes were very small, small enough that individual attention was generally practical (especially if students were sorted such that those needing the most individual attention were not all in the same classes at the same time). The Braille class seemed to get overburdened most easily, since there was only one teacher (the only other class with this issue was woodshop, but it was less actively demanding and there was usually someone on hand to pick up the slack). A retired Braille teacher came in every other day to help.
All of which is to say that I don't think sleepshades do much if anything to help even out teacher responsibilities.