Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

So, I've been wondering why exactly this game's meta appears to be so hyper-offensive. Part of it is that support moves really aren't that supportive in a lot of cases. Part of it is that we have five moveslots, and in some cases we're just encouraged to spread type coverage. But part of it is dual-type moves. Let me give a couple of examples.
slight
spoilers
beyond
Blaze Punch is flame and fighting; it absolutely demolishes anything that's steel type, with the possible exception of Cofatena. Diabolical Fire is flame and ghost, and tends to wreck most ghosts not named Lantlare (Urainaman and Sylphantom die immediately, even though it's a fifty-power move).
So I'm not saying these are necessarily awful moves. I like the concept. The problem is that some of the combos really, really wreck defensive types like steel, and hammer ghosts who really don't need any more weaknesses. Seriously, those two moves alone destroy two master stadium tamers all on their own. Geocombat is absolute murder on ice types. Conjure Sword mangles holy types. Toxic Storm is a death sentence for both plant and insect manamon. And while these moves aren't found on absolutely everything, they're common enough that the metagame really, really likes them. If you have more than one of these moves on your team, you will kill things far faster, and in so doing, it de-incentivizes stall tactics, setup or playing defense in general. Hell, why bother to set up if your Toxic Storm or Blaze Punch just one-shots everything?
So I think this was one of those things which would've been hard to see coming out of the gate, but which is actually having a net negative effect on game balance.

My suggestion would be to make most moves like this only one type. Make Toxic Storm poison type. Make Conjure Sword steel type. Make the elemental punches fighting type, just give them a good chance to scorch/freeze/paralyze. Make Geocombat stone type. Make Diabolical Fire ghost type with a chance to scorch.
Make dual-type attack moves the exception as opposed to the rule for good team-building. Stuff does not have a chance to survive when it's being hit with up to two types it's weak to at once.

It really pains me to have said this. I hate nerfing things. But I truly feel that this is doing more harm than good. As cool as it is to have mixed attacking moves, it's broken, and not in a good way.

I dunno. I'd be willing to bet that Aaron used auto-tune on the vocal track, because the transitions between notes are not natural, and the holds aren't either. It just sounds slightly mechanized, and in my experience, very few people sing this way naturally. Also, I don't hear flat in this piece except in a few places where autotune wasn't used, and Aaron is sliding from a down to g, and doesn't hit it cleanly. Choruses in particular here.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Loxias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Luel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ElizaBaez via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : firence via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector