Re: News from Freedom Scientific

I'm sorry, @41, but the idea that jaws just works and NVDA doesn't is as outdated as the practices FS/whatever they call themselves today employ are dirty and underhanded.  NVDA may not work for every situation; I'll grant that from the get-go, but if you muss use JAWS your employer/workplace/company/school or other institution should be buying it for you given its price tag.  Outside of that, I don't know of a single situation where NVDA just, doesn't work, and those who perpetuate the concept that JAWS just works and NVDA doesn't are the same people who allow corporations like this one to get away with the price gouging.
I find it interesting too that people will whine and complain and throw a fit about how companies like Apple charge far too much for their devices which, already come with a working and highly functional screen reader but allow companies like FS to manipulate and monopolize the market where windows is concerned.  Perhaps someone will shed some reasoning as to why this is perfectly acceptable and why paying for a device that just works out of the box is not?  Why, instead of paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a yearly basis are we not advocating together for equal accessibility and pushing MS to further develop Narrator which has seen improvements over the years, or giving more attention to NVDA collectively so that it does work for users the way they would like it to?  I mean, if its true that it doesn't work, the real question is, why is it not working?  That, is the question the JFW just works camp is not really answering, and saying "well, we're just used to it" is really only going to hold out for so long and does not encourage any kind of progress.
For the record?  I'm not saying that jaws is bad.  JAWS, in its own way still holds a candel to NVDA, and NVDA users should respect and appreciate that.  without the innovation that JFW made throughout the years NVDA could not be what it is today.  It is, however, my belief that the users should be making the product, not the product shaping the users, and sadly, this is what I've seen for far too long where JFW users are concerned, who have allowed themselves to sit in a complacent bubble and let a monumental leader in assistive tech simply rip them off while ignoring the possibility that other options can, and do, exist!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : superb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Skybear via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danang137 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danang137 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danang137 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector