Re: For a Change of Pace, an Angry Book Review

@camlorn, if you'd spoken to me more than five days ago I'd have recommended all of Becky chambers books absolutely, indeed I probably liked record of a spaceborn few, book 3, slightly better than closed and common orbit, that is book 2.

Shameless plug, find My reviews of all three, plus all my other reviews here.

However, unfortunately the other day my lady and I read her latest novella, to be taught, if fortunate, and I can honestly say that despite some wonderfully alien aliens and an interesting setup, it was a genuine disappointment. Shallow, happy families characters, no development and a book that ended not only on a complete copout where the plot was concerned, but a massive, preachy sermon too, and the fact that I happened to agree with the point Chambers was making in the sermon didn't stop it from being really irritating!
She also for the first time had at least a slight, direct critique of monogamous relationships and romance as well.
All in all, whilst it wasn't a bad book, it had far more flaws than I expect in her writing, and I hope she gets back on track next time.
Formal review is written, and will be posted when the webmaster of fantasybookreview.co.uk has time.

As regards the rest of the thread, I can't speak on Vall, but I'll say lack of subtlety is a general problem in a lot of genre fiction, especially when authors tend to run into standard cliches, or write one note characters, or still worse, define all characters by their relation to the hero, IE anyone who likes/loves/agrees with the protagonist is automatically good, anyone who dislikes/hates/disagrees with the protagonist must be eeeeeeevil!

Another reason I really do not! like super hero stories.