Re: UI Screen reader support

@12
No one in their right mind uses nmake, and it is (to me) a sign that the people behind Tolk don't know what they're doing that they tried to do so.  Nmake is so archaic that it doesn't even do multicore and I don't think it's even actively updated anymore.   The Windows dev experience is actually much better than Tolk is making it look, and with VSCode you even get the most accessible non-console debugger I've ever seen (which, to be honest, given MS's track record, surprised me--but having access to this for Synthizer has literally already saved me days minimum).  CMake/Ninja or Meson/Ninja is where they should have gone, being as they have features like a complete manual, just to name one offhand that's probably not a really big deal since we're all mind readers, aren't we?

But also, in the event that you *are* being serious about not caring about Windows, it's the only audiogame platform that matters.  Don't have Windows and none of us are going to bother.  Phones are useless because any moderately complicated game quickly needs a keyboard for any degree of efficiency, so either you sacrifice on complexity and mechanics or you sacrifice on efficient UIs.  Mac has maybe 5% or 10% of the already small community at most, many of whom already run Windows VMs anyway.  Linux is a rounding error.  Windows is the only platform you can't not care about.  Don't have Windows and you probably don't have players, and you almost certainly don't have interested blind programmers.

At some point when I get far enough along building a non-sucky stack for audiogames I'm going to reimplement Tolk under the Unlicense or Zlib or something.  Obviously there is more of a need than I thought, especially since accessible_output2 is only Python and has unclear licensing.  If you only care about Jaws and NVDA and you assume that NVAccess will never break whatever their DLL uses you can do this without even needing to distribute dlls at all, but I think I'm the only one around here who actually has all the knowledge for the Windows piece in one head being as part of that requires doing COM calls without a COM interface to do the calls via.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector