Re: what do i need in an rpg engine?

I'm sure one of my early RPG attempts is still online somewhere. It had a weird system as regards turn-based Vs realtime (because it was made for IE6, mostly), and I did a very poor job of supporting new skills even though I knew I would need to from the beginning. What I did, though, was focus first and foremost on getting something playable, then rushing through major plot-points so a complete playthrough was technically possible (I think the only cheat I added was to let you set your inventory, but I might have forgotten something).
Oh, and it's also the first time I did anything with positional audio, so that was fun. The enemy AI was pathetic but every now and then actually accomplished something. The item system was exceptionally silly, as I put items at fixed positions on the map, and picking one up removed it from the list, causing all the other items to teleport to different positions. And there were some poor design choices with the map that made navigating in certain areas confusing.
Where was I going with this? Umm, the point is that this was about a year and a half after I'd really started learning programming, and I threw everything into arrays instead of classes, and it was a big mess, and it worked well enough to be playable anyway. I'm not sure what anyone else would learn from looking at the code, but I certainly learned things (like "don't move 80+ images in every frame if most of them are already off screen" yikes ).
I'ma go try porting that to Python or something. It'd be nightmarish for BGT, but ... eh, maybe? I also "like" how porting it to Python feels more realistic than updating it to continue to work in _javascript_. sad