Re: Using Slang is Homophobic now?

I've heard the "language evolves" thing before, and, while I do understand that, it also seems like v mighty convenient way for people to justify something, kind of like these various groups that have started causing trouble again. I realize that this is probably beating a dead horse, so I won't even try any further. However, I will not shy away from certain terms just because a few people find them offensive, not until they have that same respect. That kind of respect works both ways, and I just have reached a point where I don't tolerate stupidity. I had a college professor once who, seeing that I was trying to get across a really busy street in Boston one day, wouldn't help me to do so simply because he was so wrapped up in one of these so-called protests. That was several years ago, and things have only devolved since then. Thank God there are still kind people out there who are willing to say what needs to be said. I never thought. I would live to see a time when people were so oversensitive to things that they get so offended at the dumbest things. Now, take the term "blind" for example. I refer to myself as blind rather than visually impaired because visually impaired is such a vague concept that it doesn't really make anything clear. It doesn't tell the person you're talking with whether you can see enough to read, whether you merely have shadow vision, or anything like that. We ran into this on our daughter's IEP a couple of years ago. She wasn't getting all the funding she should have been getting to go toward her braille books, and thus wasn't getting many of them. this was all because it was written in her IEP, unbeknownst to us, that she was visually impaired, not totally blind. We corrected that, and she's gotten everything she's needed ever since. So, there are times when using politically language just does not cut it. I know some here will hold a different view, and that's fine. I wouldn't think of forcing you to change your view. I respect your views, and the freedom to express them. I just wish all of society shared that kind of respect.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Xvordan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Accman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector