Re: Podcast on Smugglers 5

@Brad, the way crew works  is quite simple once you get the idea.  that minimum crew figure is the number of crew needed to fly your ship. If you have less than this number of crew you will fly very slowly.

Crewmen and officers are what you need for this. Officers give various bonuses to boarding combat and to targeting your guns, up to a level of 10 officers, but more officers than this is wasting your time. What I usually did was get 10 officers, then fill up the rest of the required crew with crewmen.

Marines and battledroids don't count towards the number needed to pilot your ship, they are there purely for boarding and why your ship can hold more crew than is needed to fly it. Battle droids are the key to winning lots of boarding actions, but those are quite hard to get hold of sinse you can't just hyer them, you either need to win them in boarding actions, find them in special encounters or have a very friendly governer sell them to you. Thi s actually quite amused me sinse my wife's father was the best source for most of the droids I used, I sort of wondered if at our wedding my wife had a train of battle droid bridesmaids clomping down the ile behind her :d.

So with boarding, basically get the minimum level of crew or officers, then fill up with marines, and battle droids when you have them.

As to pirates, well they're the there for piracy! sinse I think if you play long enough as a pirate the other types of crew refuse to join you, you can only recruit them at pilot outposts, but I don't believe they fight as well as marines.

Hope this makes sense.

Btw, make sure you keep checking your and the enemy's levels of crew in each part of the ship as you board it. The columns are the same as on the hyering screen. Particularly make sure to use the emp strike when you see battle droids.

I unfortunately sort of abandoned my pirate game, sinse I was finding things frustrati ng and I suspec I need a new stratogy, indeed right now I'm deep in the middle of dragon pass.

@Camochek, Yes, I played the chief and several other characters in Airic the clerric, as well as Julius in tdv. I've also recorded some parts for Sarah 1.2 (you can hear one of them in the trailer on the pcs games site).

There are no other podcasts about Smugglers 5. Indeed part of the point as to why i recorded the podcast in the first place was  to give people an idea of the game.