Re: I have a deep desire to build higher quality games for blind people.

SLJ, I don't think I agree that if you want a high quality game, you have to pay. There are tons and tons of what I would call high quality japanese RPGs in the audiogames market, just not in english. So far, every one of them is free, though for a while we weren't sure if they would charge for Shadow Line Full Voice. They very well could have, it was definitely worth the price of a mainstream game in my opinion. That isn't to say that I wouldn't pay for a high quality game, for example, a really good english RPG, just that I don't think that has to be the way it is.

Months to complete? Are there actually games out there that have that much playtime? I think the most I've ever heard of is like 80 hours. I suppose that could be spread out over the coarse of months, but for a straight playthrough that's only a little over 3 days. Most of the japanese games have hours of playtime as opposed to the normal length of the english audiogames. I thi nk I got about 6 hours worth of play out of entombed, if I remember right, though I didn't go through the dungeon multiple times. Just to complete Tia Story, it took me at least 20 hours, and that's morokuma's most basic RPG. Granted I was translating the slow way back then, but it still takes a while to complete all the content of that game. And that's just one of them, there are at least 15 others besides, most with at least 10 hours of gameplay, but usually running 20 to 30, maybe even 40 hours if you want to complete all the bonus content.

The type of game I'd really like to see in english doesn't really focus on how much playtime you can get out of it or on massive amounts of unlockables, but instead, on plot and solid gameplay. I'd like to see a full-featured RPG with a great storyline just like the japanese audiogamers have, and with a lot of side quests to complete, and bonus content to mess around with after you've beaten the ga me. Multiple endings are cool as well like in Chrono Trigger, and yes the japanese audiogamers have those as well. I believe Tia Story 2 has something like 7 different endings, I think I've only gotten 5 or 6 of them despite the fact that I've been playing off and on for a year or more now. This is one reason I liked Shadow Line Full Voice so much. Yeah, the combat system was pretty terrible. Yeah, the characters in some cases didn't feel different from each other, and the bosses took no strategy to defeat, save a couple. But the plot was amazing, the voice acting was great even though I know very little japanese, it has multiple endings, amazing music and sounds, a lot of bonus content and at least 20 hours of gameplay for your first playthrough, not even counting trying to unlock all the endings. Now that's what I call a good, mainstream quality game.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector