Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Can't believe I'm stepping into this shitpile.

OK, 3 things:

1. To those of you saying "we weathered past pandemics just fine, why not this one?" Look up the infection/death toll of the 1918 flu pandemic. Absolutely staggering. A third of the world infected, 500000 deaths in the United States. I'd hardly call that "fine" by any measure, particularly when we now have the sense to do better and are on track for a much higher infection-to-death ratio.

2. To those of you (though I think it's mainly Accman at this point) wondering what's going to happen to our economy if we keep this up... I don't know, but I'm much more concerned with what will happen to our lives. As in, will we live or die? Some of you "conservatives" seem to have lost sight of the notion that the economy serves us, not the other way around. If we have supply and demand, but the only way to move one to the other is by exchanging pieces of green paper that may be in short supply for a whole host of reasons, then maybe *that* system is broken and long due for an overhaul. And yes, since you asked, I'm writing an audio game I hope to make money off of. If i don't because of the pandemic, then I'll take *that* over people having to work to buy my $5 game, then dying because of that. Sometimes we have to see the bigger picture, even if that picture is inconvenient or incompatible with our own interests.

3. I fucking hate wearing masks. I heavily rely on echolocation, have done so for the past 10 years or so, and feel more blind and more unsafe whenever I go out wearing one? Know what? Too bad for me. I didn't have to be bludgeoned over the head again and again and again to learn not to shit where I live. I wear a mask because, while I've been taking lots of precautions and sincerely doubt I'm sick, I'm doing my part to remain a decent human being who takes actions to care for those around him. If you don't, well, hopefully you'll get sick and eventually learn that lesson, or maybe be removed entirely from the equation and we won't have your poor choices to contend with.

Woo, and with that I scrape the shit off my sandals and try getting on with my day. Mad props to Jayde for not letting this go, even if it is a lost cause. Really can't let this stupidity spread any further than it already has. The cool thing about this particular argument is that I don't have to win it, because eventually those of you who don't believe in wearing masks will be dead and gone. Unfortunate that you'll take lots of innocents with you, and I do regret that your stupidity is actually contagious in this situation.