Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Admittedly, the mask I have is not cotton. It's a slightly heavier material and it does blow my breath back at me a bit. I suspect that if I were to wear it all day, it might become unpleasant. It was very mildly unpleasant by the end of half an hour, but still perfectly copable.

AssaultFreak, I think the reason I'm coming across as uncaring is because of the context in which I'm arguing. If you were to hear me talk to my father, I absolutely do not come across this way. That's because even if he bitches about things, he's at least willing to listen. Also, note how I talk to you vs. Accman? Huge difference there. You aren't trying to push an alternate agenda, simply saying you're not currently prepared to accept mask-wearing as part of the new normal. I really hope it isn't, but suspect it might be in the short-term. I, too, don't think it's a nice thought to be afraid to hug people if you want to, and I don't particularly enjoy the feel of a mask on my face; I'll do it, I'll deal with it, but I don't like it and don't want to have to get used to it. I'm glad that you're generally following health recommendations though, and I guess we can only hope this blows over.
I'll once more state something that was said a long time ago. Way down the road, I hope we can look back and say "yeah, we probably overdid it a bit". Because that means we actually made a damn big difference. The alternative is having to stare our failure in the face over a death toll that did not need to be so large. I feel that America is already in that position, honestly, and some other countries may be as well. Some countries have been better prepared than others, and the facts just don't lie.
I do hear what you're saying re: domestic problems from people having to be at home all the time. Children, too, and not just in Japan, may be at greater risk than before. Abuse victims and such are not having a good time, and people who do best with face-to-face therapy of some kind or other are definitely suffering. This is definitely a part of the population which is suffering unduly and needs help. We agree there. It's not one-sided, and not a situation where all the benefits are obvious and all the drawbacks are illusory. That's not ever how I've seen it, or attempted to characterize it. At worst, I've tried to suggest that for your average person, putting on a mask when they go to the grocery store or to pick up a pizza is really not that big a deal, and I wish more Americans just shut the fuck up and did it already. Maybe that would help their numbers drop. In fact, if enough of them did it, there's no "maybe" about it.