Re: So i've just finished reading neverwhere and its amazing

@Lem, with Canavan, the books did get better as they went on, in style and in terms of general plot progression, though I'm afraid Sonea's over all lack of motivation and calcuation sort of irritated me throughout the trilogy. I have had it in mind to reread and review them though, particularly since there is a sequel series about Sonea's son which delves more into the blood magic aspects of the series, as well as a prequal.
Plus of course, since when I read them in 2012, I was recovering from a badly sprained and almost broken arm and pretty much just on my back reading for a week, it's possible my view of them was a bit prejudiced big_smile.

I wouldn't say Pratchett and Gaiman are particularly similar writers, though good omens is worth a read. With Gaiman I've enjoyed most of his adult books, though his norse mythology title odd and the frost giants was disappointing.
American Gods, stardust, coroline and Ocean at the end of the lane are all all sorts of fantastic, as are his short story collections, which often contain stories that tie back to his adult fiction.
I was less fond of Anancy boys, which is sort of the companion to American Gods, since there the comedy made the plot a bit thin I thought, though it did have some fun moments all the same.

@Camlorn, with Mievel I've only read Embasy town, Realsea and the  Vaslag trilogy so far. Actually if we're talking unique books with female Protagonists, Embasy town would definitely qualify imho big_smile.
I'll have to give unlundun a try.

The Night circus was interesting. The style was gorgious the poetry perfect, the romance stylised, and yet the plot just didn't seem to work out. We kept being promised something dark was going to happen, and there would be consequences to the magic, and there just never were, it's odd, I don't think I've ever quite read a book like The Night Circus which was both as amazingly and beautifully written, and so down right badly plotted at the same time, and yet the writing, and style almost entirely makes up for the errors in plot.
I wrote a formal review which you can find on the above link to my profile.

@stasp, I've read the odd children's book if it's interesting enough, indeed I'm quite a fan of pretty much anything written by Dianna Wynne Jones, indeed my lady and I are reading one of hers at the moment.
Think sort of dark surrealist comedy with magic elements, although the one we're reading is probably the only one of two adult fantasy books she ever wrote, that is books with adult protagonists and sex in, though other than that pretty much the same as her books aimed at kids or young adults in terms of magic, weird humour, characters who are both delightfully self centred and strangely likable, and usually a lack of anything too dark, although she does have her moments on occasion just to give things some intrest.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : lemm via Audiogames-reflector