Re: friend possibly going to Turkey

Ok now. First of all, Istanbul is a huge metropolitant city with more than 15 million people  i've lived in the city for 6 years and still i go there time to time
i think living in big cities or small cities of western portion of Turkey is reasonable for a blind to live. Offcourse Your friend's mobility  is the key factor here.
in Istanbul use subways you can reach many places without hassles.
also the staff is highly helpful. inside the busss you will know the place you're going thru due to anouncement system existed. additionally there is an app called move it imho and people says it's cool to use.
on the other hand keep in mind that Many people don't know English People but, they will do their best to help You. Although depends on the area You can find more people who speaks English.

On the other hand keep in mind that City is highly populated and You'll feel this.  biggest problem with Istanbul right now is those Syrian refugese but, this problem is not something spesiphic to blind.

btw. My wife told me now that many buss drivers turn off anouncements and Many blind people keep complain about this.

Ask me if You need to learn more and i will answer.