Re: frustrated with blindness (read post if you want context)

Want to jump back in and say two quick things here, because Canlorn pretty much gets it.

1. Nonfolding vs. folding: I personally use a folding cane, because I don't like carting around a nearly six-foot unfoldable awkward stick everywhere I go. The improved tactile sensation from said stick is not great enough to justify the inconvenience IMO. But this is a personal choice. I don't get it, others do. I can tell a fuckload of info with my folding cane, and it's more than enough to get me by on. If I were ever put into a situation where I needed more info than I could comfortably get, I'd consider a non-folding cane. Otherwise, no. So I sort of get you there, Enes, but there are benefits. It's just a question of whether or not those benefits will improve your own mobility skills.

2. Now, as for braille? Absolutely a non-starter with me. Braille is absolutely essential. I made a thread about blind people's spelling a couple of years ago and it turned into a philosophical discussion. I stick by it. If all you ever really learn is to listen to language, then arguably you're missing a very large component of literacy. Now, if you don't want to use braille that often after you learn it? Fine. You don't have to have a brailler and write yourself notes every day. You don't have to have a library full of braille books. But I do think you need the skill, as I do think literacy is important. To hand-wave it as unnecessary kind of misses the point as I see it.