Re: frustrated with blindness (read post if you want context)

enes wrote:

Oh also, did we cover folding vs the aluminum nonfolding cane debate? There is absolutely no reason to use a nonfolding cane. Try that if you're tall, and have a tall cane, and climb into a taxy, or an airplane. And the insistance that anyone with vision loss learn braille, and the overemphasis of it? braille is far far less than it used to be, and definately isn't required if someone sees enough to read print even large print at a reasonable speed.

Those who know me are going to gasp at this next statement based on how much I read, but ... Braille is not optional. Ok I had usable sight where I could see larger print, until I was 14. Imagine how shit it would have been if I was taught print instead of Braille, and then my vision went anyway. Only if you have a stable eye condition with very little chance of degradation should you not learn Braille, and I still think you should learn it a little bit in case your vision goes. I'd be careful counting out Braille: I can't say I type in Braille as much as I should because I don't own an input device, but don't forget it's our only written language.