Re: frustrated with blindness (read post if you want context)

No, sorry, GrannyCheeseWheel is right.  You're not even reading closely enough to notice that I said that canes have improved a lot in the last 20 years.  I literally just said they're durable and good nowadays, but didn't used to be.  Then you took it and flipped it around to find another point to argue with.

Also, no, you don't forget contractions and stuff over the years and start not being able to spell.  I've never heard of that happening.  If you want to engage in an argument, actually engage in an argument.  Raising the bar by just introducing a bunch of hypotheticals rather than really addressing any of the points or providing reasons isn't arguing, it's fearmongering or something.  You can take anything and tag on what-ifs all day long and claim it's an argument.  That's how things like "but what if vaccines cause autism" are able to still have traction.

yes, you have an opinion.  Fine.  But you're really never going to change anyone's minds until you become open to the idea that you can be wrong, come to terms with the fact that changing an opinion in some way is a perfectly fine thing to do, and start realizing that other people have good points and have thought things through.  You clearly haven't thought this through at all.  Angrily saying that you don't like the status quo but here's an impractical solution instead doesn't help your case either.  At this point it's hard for me to even believe that you're as capable as you claim to be, because I don't understand how you can have this shallow of an understanding while having the skills you claim to have.

For instance, turns out that you're arguing about braille, then by your own words you never actually learned all of it.  It's a shame you had an incompetent teacher, but you've now formed arguments around that teacher's incompetence rather than considering that maybe you just had an incompetent teacher and the rest of us know it better.  It makes me wonder what else you think you can do well because you don't have a good basis of comparison to what's possible.  You'd be far from the first blind person who thinks they're great but then one day they meet someone who's 10 times better and suddenly the reaction is something like "well, shit".  That happened to me once upon a time, and to be honest it's not at all a pleasant experience to realize that you're only a local maximum and that while you're living independently or whatever, that other person over there is functioning on a whole other level.  Maybe you're as good as you think you are, there's really no way for us to know via a forum.  But maybe you should also start considering that you're not.

Those nuclear war scenarios, they happen.  Covid is one for many of us, who have had to go months at a time without a sighted person around to help.  So even if we argue in your framework, the things you're saying aren't really worth learning because nuclear war?  Consider all the blind people who are going months at a time without a sighted person around at all right now.  The last year has taken the independent living skills bar and said "haha, you thought you were good, hold my beer".  To enumerate my personal sighted people who could help list: one of them is old enough that he's at enough risk that he's not leaving his house, one of them lives with a bunch of immunocompromised people, one of them can't risk getting covid because company policy will shut down their entire hotel and put dozens of people out of work if he does, one of them works in healthcare with elderly patients and also lives over 2 hours away, and the fifth (at least last I checked) worked in the labs doing the testing.  SO yeah.

But to be honest I'm not sure why I'm even bothering at this point. Clearly your mind is made up, your opinion is the only correct one, and we're all wrong and ignorant.