Re: Sable - A code free tool for creating RPG's (New 1.4 change log added)

Hi everyone,

I’ll try and answer some of the questions below:
@Defender, Just to be clear I’m not saying the new suggestions  definitely won’t make it into this version, just that I don’t want to commit to anything. one thing I’m really cautious of as a developer is  overpromising, so I like to focus on what is already coded in, rather than promising features which aren’t confirmed/coded in yet. I also want to focus on what features will add the most flexibility to the prototype version of Sable and which features will fit better in a second generation of Sable. All that being said I do think they were some good suggestions, it actually got me thinking yesterday as to ways I might implement some of the features from your original post, I think if I did add something like this I would probably just allow for status affects which can be equipped to armour  to be used offensively, so that when attacked the status affect would have a chance of firing on the attacker. I think this would offer lots of potential extra options for creators  and wouldn’t require much coding work to implement either, since I could just make a couple of alterations to the current status affect system to make it work). Again, I don’t want to promise anything , but it’s definitely something I’m thinking about, so we’ll just have to wait and see. Regarding the foot armour suggestion, similar to above I want to avoid committing  to anything specifically, but it’s another good suggestion. I’d need to add in a mechanic to allow characters to attack with their feet for it to work, I could probably just amend the dual weald ability to have an option which when learnt allowed the character to attack with both hands and feet. That way a creator could use it to create something called combo, or martial arts or something  like that to allow the class to attack with both hands and feet (I think entombed monk had something similar where they could learn something to allow them to attack with both hands and feet).  Since the code is already there for armour to do damage, it would be a pretty simple addition, just adding that extra option to dual weald  and opening up foot armour to allow the damage stat to be used.
@Brian P, yeah, that Nintendo game sounds like it would get pretty annoying after a while hahaha. Pleased to hear though that some of the new features will help with the game you want to make
@pates, regarding beta testing,  We’re not looking for beta testers at the moment. The core of Sable is complete and it has everything the game design team require to build Crimson Eclipse. So the main focus is on the game design team building Crimson Eclipse, I’m just tidying up loose ends and adding polish to some of the rougher edges of Sable whilst they work on the game. We do have a small private team of beta testers working on Sable at present, just checking everything is working correctly and testing any new features I add, but it’s only a really small team and at present we’re not looking for additional testers. We want to produce Crimson Eclipse not only to show off what Sable is Capable of, but to also demonstrate the types of games we ourselves as a games company want to produce. An added advantage of creating the game is that it gives us a chance to fully road test sable and make any fine tuning adjustments to Sable before it next goes out to the public.
@both brian and pates, the idea of an item which restricts random encounters has come up a few times. One of the reasons I’m reluctant to add something like this is from a balance and game design standpoint. Getting balance right in an RPG can be tricky, as a developer you need to have an idea throughout your game of roughly what level your players will be at each point in your game. this all factors into how much experience is gained, this can be controlled through things like quests, rewards but random encounters and their frequency plays a big part in this. If you give the player an item which restricts random encounters, and with you the creator having no control over  when and where the player will use this it makes it more difficult for you as a creator to have  an idea of what level a character will be at each point in your game. the other issue is that often in RPG’s there are areas where random encounters play a big part in either grinding, or just blocking off certain areas until a character is strong enough to enter them and not be killed horribly hahaha. Again something like this item would make managing those situations as a creator more difficult. As a work around to this , there is already an event trigger which allows you as a creator to alter the encounter rate when the trigger is fired, this affectively  does the same as what you are asking for, but is more controlled, so you as creators can manage in game balance easier since you know where these are potentially being used. Hope that all makes sense and my answer isn’t too much waffle hahaha

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: i...@ebonskystudios.com
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios
Website www.ebonskystudios.com

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jdawg1983 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ebon Sky Studios via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ebon Sky Studios via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : toto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ebon Sky Studios via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector