Re: Good resources for getting to grips with procedural or maze generation

Procedural Generation is more using randomness as work. I once made a world generation system for an RTS, and it basically consisted of an X by Y 2D array consisting of water tiles. I then dropped an NPC at random on it and had it move one tile in a one of four directions at random, and wherever it stepped it would change the block it was standing on to solid land, and the surrounding 8 tiles to shoreline. After a set time I warped it somewhere else, rinse and repeat for things like mountains or resource deposits and presto, a random map is generated. The complexity of such things really depends, but at its core its about setting up a framework and using randomized variables to create unique environments and properties. Like using perlin noise to generate randomized height maps and topographical 3D terrain.