Re: Demons

I've come to think of visual impairment as, say, the powerball on the life lottery. If you're the sort who would tend to work hard and win at life, blindness will only make you work--and win--harder. If you're on the other end of the curve, so too can the negative be amplified. This amplification applies to problems and gains from external circumstances as well, especially other people.
But that's just a working hypothesis, and a recent one at that. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong soon enough. I always am. (This does not say much good about my critical thinking skills, but that's not what we're talking about!)

There's a lot to digest in your post, but, you know, one of the last things I read before coming here involved lots of parables about how, if we can accommodate trans people, then let's accommodate them instead of being mean about it because it's hard to understand those sorts of experiences. Emperor Norto n and Body Integrity Identity Disorder came up. (The latter seemed more general when I first heard about it, but nowadays people only use it to refer to people who have a deep seeded need to become amputees, so I can't suggest that it applies to you and me anymore, which is kinda frustrating.)

I can at least be glad that you have found support! As you say, most people seem incapable of going further than "oh, that's sad", at best, when they encounter something so far from their experience. It's good to know that people around here can do better than that, sometimes. smile

[edit: technically, what you described is indeed BIID. But the amputee version is so salient that it'll be the first to come to mind when someone brings it up.]

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rach Rach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rach Rach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rach Rach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rach Rach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sujatapriti90 via Audiogames-reflector