Why do we have no propper exploration and colonization games?

Hi.

I've just finished reading the  World of Ice and Fire book. The descriptions of the various lands, and the wars that the heroes had across them in that book were amazing, I particularly loved how mysterious a lot of places were, and how a lot of the history involved new peoples actually going out battling, conquering and exploring to see what they  found in a very hostile world.

Why is it, that with the very notable exceptions of Kodp and Castaways, we have nothing like this? I recently tried yet another browser game purporting to be about exploration and building empires, to find it was yet another "which players can number crunch the fastest" with neither descriptions of your lands, peoples or artifacts, nor any real disasters events or things to explore beyond a new building just called "town hall" or whatever.

there are plenty of these sorts of games around in the mainstream, from Dwarf fortress to civilization, yet w hy is it all the accessible examples I find are all pretty dull multiplayer number crunchers with no atmosphere and no unexpected surprises?

I know programming is an issue, but really I'm quite amazed more hasn't been done here, unless I'm missing something somewhere. Does anyone have any thoughts?