Re: Why do we have no propper exploration and colonization games?

@Danny I'll be very glad if your game comes about, and I do understand very well the issues with all aspects of producing a game, it's just that what mildly frustrates me in this respect is that all the necessary tools are there. Castaways and Lunimals showed how to do real time development and management of free acting units, Time of Conflict had the awsome map interface, and anyone with a skill in writing descriptions could design a colourful world for the game. All the elements are there, but nobody has put them together quite yet, which, given that we now have several audio games in genres from fps, to vehicle sim to some pretty good in roads into rpgs is really quite surprising, and a little frustrating considering that most of what is! accessible is of such an amazingly inferior click click minimax quality.

Kodp and Castaways are very much exceptions of course, though neither is really up to the dwarf fortress level sinse Kodp, while amazing in many ways isn& #039;t just! a civilization and settling game and castaways doesn't quite go far enough, ---- though if Aprone plans a castaways ii, or something similar I'm all for that.

I suppose it was just reading Martin's fantastic history of Westeros it struck me this would be an amazing thing to get stuck into, to take a group, rather like the Andals colonizing westeros, in a hostile environment where you could find literally anything, guide them to overcome weather and hostile natives, to explore for teretory and resources and then see them build an ever more complex civilization going from a few crude huts in the forest to fully fortified castles and entire cities, building their own ships and sending out new colonies of their own.

It's actually a little odd, back before I played castaways I knew people who enjoyed that style of game but could never see the appeal, sinse the only examples I'd had access to had been the boring, numeric multiplayer varie ty. Castaways however with it's disasters and it's need to continually keep a handle on the environment and what was happening, and change your stratogy and priorities so that you could react to threats really! showed me what was possible, and now it's something I can't wait to try.